that’s right folks, we started this blog exactly 1 year ago so today it’s the birthday of Soul Safari! Thanks to all visitors of these pages; for your comments, your suggestions and the links. Keep sending them, it’s very much appreciated.
To celebrate this occasion we present a groovy, funky mix of soul and boogie tunes for your ears only… all records come from our own archives, highlighting the golden African disco days, mid to late 70’s. Some rare 45’s by Patti Boulaye, (born Patricia Ngosi Ebigwei, 1954), a British singer, actress and politician, and who was one of the leading black British entertainers in the seventies and eighties. In her native Nigeria, she is best remembered for starring in the Lux commercials which ran in the eighties.
Letta Mbulu is a more established South African artist with an impressive career that spans a few continents, her contribution to the mix is ‘Kilimanjaro’, a gorgeous slab of African boogie-disco. That voice!
And the list goes on with some real funky versions of ‘Take me to the river’ by Mara Lauw, ‘Get it’ by The Symbols, a discofied version of ‘Put it where you want it’, originally a hit for The Crusaders. And more African cover versions of American boogie & disco hits…
Here’s the full list
01. Mara Louw -Take Me To The River
02. Patti Boulaye -Funky Love
03. The Sakie Special Band -Groovy Cats
04. The Movers -Guava Jelly
05. Sylvia King -Shoorah! Shoorah!
06. Jackie -Disco Jack
07. Fani & The Guys -You Promised Me
08. Blondie -Overtime
09. The Pedlars – At The Club
10. The Pedlars -Right On
11. The K.C.’s -Kansas City Instrumental
12. The Square Set -Love Theme
13. Pappa & Blondie Makhene -Boogie On Up
14. The Movers -Freaky Disco
15. Green Apple -Funky Fever
16. The Symbols -Get It
17. John Moriri & Manzini Girls -We Gogo
18. Izintombi Zesi Manje Manje -Omzala Bakho
19. Manzini Girls -Afro Wig
20. Soul Brothers -Bayeza
21. Pappa & Blondie Makhene -Don’t Burn Your Bridges
22. The Explosions -Mama Wami
23. The Blue Revues -Spook Mahala
24. The Big Six -Kitla Kola Kuang
25. Letta Mbulu -Kilimanjaro