Harari -Kala Harari Rock -Township Soul & Boogie vol 9March 18, 2013
“Kala-Harari -Rock” was released in South Africa at the end of 1979. It was the group’s third album and the selection of songs leans heavily on their African roots. This is Harari’s first real return to Africa since ‘Rufaro’ which was the genesis of the Harari sound.
The concept of ‘Kala-Harari -Rock’ is based the raw wildness of the jungle, translated into music acceptable to the Western ear. File under Afrobeat, Funk, Disco. The standout track on this album is easily the instrumental ‘Soweto Sunset’ a mesmerizing funky groove, relaxed and powerful. Other favourites are’Safari’, ‘Jikeleza’ and ‘Elephant Dance’. But why not judge for yourself, the full album is available here on these pages for a limited time only. Enjoy!
A2. Give 5:22
A3. Safari 5:20
B1. The Whole World’s Dancing Now 5:17
B3. Jikeleza 3:37
- Bass, Vocals, Percussion – Alec ‘Om’ Khaoli*
- Congas, Percussion [Assorted Percussion] – Oupa Segwai
- Drums [Drums & African Drums], Vocals, Flute [Flute & Alto Flute], Kalimba, Percussion [Assorted Percussions] – Sipho Mabuse
- Guitar – Doc Mathilane*
- Guitar, Vocals – Masike Mohape*
- Producer, Arranged By – Alec Khaoli, Greg Cutler, Sipho Mabuse
- Strings, Vocals, Synthesizer [Fender Rhodes, ArpMoog], Clavinet, Organ – Thelma “Neo”Segonah*