180 grams vinyl, CD
A limited amount of ‘Township Jive & Kwela Jazz (1960-1965) volume 3’ in both LP -180 grams vinyl and deluxe CD formats -is now available for readers of this blog exclusively.
20 euro including S&H as Registered Airmail (+track&trace/barcode) Worldwide!
PayPal account required. Volume 1 and 2 also available.
So here it is! Soul Safari is proud to announce the release of our third compilation in collaboration with the International Library of African Music (ILAM), Grahamstown, South Africa.
16 rare gems of Township Jive & Kwela Jazz from South Africa recorded between 1960-1965.
Official date of release; October 31st 2014
180 grams vinyl LP -Catalog nr. UP 2014.006LP
CD -Catalog nr. UP 2014.006CD
Soul Safari started as a blog to showcase the music of Africa with a strong emphasis on South Africa. Now in its 6th year, Soul Safari is proud to present the third volume of the compilation ‘Township Jive & Kwela Jazz’, a collection of rare gems originally released as shellac 78’s in the period 1960-1965 in South Africa.
On this third volume the selection features the gorgeous close harmony vocal groups singing in the tradition of American R & B and doo wop. But always with that typical South African swing and sung in the Zulu or Xhosa languages. DJ Eddy de Clercq who initiated this compilation in close collaboration with ILAM, also selected a few tunes that stand for the transition from early jive to mbanqaga, a most democratic vocal style characterized by the typical ‘groaning’, a form of call and answer between the male leader (groaner) and female singers. Mbanqaga would follow up jive as the popular vocal music from 1965 onwards.
Kwela jazz knew many variations in which the original instrument, the penny whistle was traded in for accordion, violin, even a melodica, an instrument that also became widely popular in Jamaica. Similarities with uptempo ska can be heard in tunes by Kid Ma Wrong Wrong and Bra Sello featured on this compilation. Again an exciting selection of rare recordings from the heyday of South African Jive & Kwela. Truly music treasures from a long gone past.
All recordings were prepared and mastered from the original 78rpm shellac discs from the ILAM archives. The goal was to clear the dust and dirt of ages gone by, while preserving the original dynamics of the recordings and to keep the sound as little altered as possible.
Soul Safari presents Township Jive & Kwela Jazz (1960-1965)-Volume 3
01. Ngibosen Twist -Telegram Specials (1965) 02:20
02. Izwe Liyasha – The Young Stars (1965) 02:48
03. Ulowa – The Young Stars (1965) 02:29
04. Intogeymy -The Lower Buttons (1964) 02:23
05. Nylon -The Lower Buttons (1964) 02:53
06. Kudala Ngizula -Cowboy Superman & His Cowboy Sisters (1960) 02:15
07. Manka Binde -Que Sisters (1962) 02:46
08 Nice Time -Que Sisters (1962) 02:41
01. Mangothobane -Flying Jazz Queens (1965) 02:17
02. Wamuhle Lomfana -Flying Jazz Queens (1965) 02:26
03. Unjak’ Upelile -Izintombi Zesi Manje Manje (1965) 02:2
04. Five Two Six -Kid Ma Wrong Wrong (1965) 02:22
05. Gumba Gumba 800-Kid Ma Wrong Wrong (1965) 02:22
06. Seven Stitches -Kid Ma Wrong Wrong (1965) 02:23
07. Rock Phata 1001-Kid Ma Wrong Wrong with the SDV Swing Band (1965) 02:39
08. Lulu Part 4 –Bra Sello (1960) 02:24
This compilation ℗ + © 2014 Ubuntu Publishing. All rights reserved
Marketed by Ubuntu Publishing. Distributed by Rush Hour-Amsterdam, Nieuwe Zijdsvoorburgwal 130 B, 1012ST Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Check out our other releases
Township Jive & Kwela Jazz Volume 1(1940-1960)
Township Jive & Kwela Jazz Volume 2