After his big hit success with ‘Grazing in the grass’ ,” which went to #1 in both the pop and R&B charts in 1968, Masekela joined his former wife Miriam Makeba in Guinea, Africa for a tour. It was there that he met Hedzoleh Soundz, an extremely talented band from Ghana, known for blending the ancient rhythmic traditions of their native Ghana with American jazz and Latin music.
At the time Fela Kuti was taking Africa and the world by storm with his brand of Nigerian Jazz Funk. The interlocking rhythms over which his saxophone could endlessly groove were reminiscent of the style of funk patterns that James Brown pioneered in the U.S.
Hedzoleh Soundz combines the rhythmic traditions of their native Ghana while Masekela adds the improvisational drive of jazz. The album ‘Introducing Hedzoleh Soundz’ was recorded in Lagos, Nigeria in 1973 and features such tracks as ‘Languta’, an irresistible chunk of infectious Afro beat with an inspired Masekela singing and blowing on top.
Hugh Masekela will be performing during the Festival Rio Loco, on June 19th 2010 in Toulouse, France
Masekela introducing Hedzoleh Soundz
- Hugh Masekela – Trumpet & Vocals
- Stanley Kwesi Todd – Electric Bass & Vocals
- James Kwaku Morton – Congas & Vocals
- Nat “Leepuma” Hammond – Congas, Flute & Vocals
- Richard Neesai “Jagger” Botchway – Guitar
- Isaac Asante – Talking Drum, Percussion & Vocals
- Samuel Nortey – Percussion & Vocals
- Acheampong Welbeck – Drums
- Kaa Ye Oya
- Yei Baa Gbe Wolo
- Nye Tamo Ame
Blue Thumb Chisa BTS 62 USA
Buy the original album here